The Jesuits in Tullabeg, a century of service 1814-1914, Book Two
The Jesuits in Tullabeg
The Jesuits in Tullabeg Book two
The year 1860 was a significant one for Tullabeg because it was in that year that the Jesuits in Ireland were elevated to the rank of a full independent Jesuit Province. In the years that followed Tullabeg became a leading Irish college both in academic and sporting attainments. This book will also record how these attainments were abruptly ended in 1886. Tullabeg was eventually used as a novitiate, the purpose for which Fr Peter Kenny had originally built it in 1817. As the centenary year was reached in 1914 the Jesuits throughout the world rejoiced, as they had done 100 years previously, when Pope Pius VII, by his Papal Bull, Solicitudo Omnium Ecclesiarum, ended the forty dark years of the Suppression. This volume brings the reader to the Centenary Year 1914.