skip to Main Content

Offaly History (short for Offaly Historical & Archaeological) was first formed in 1938 and re-established in 1969 and is located at Bury Quay, Tullamore, Co. Offaly since 1993(next to the new Tullamore D.E.W Visitor Centre).

We are about collecting and sharing memories. We do this in an organised way though exhibitions, supporting the publication of local interest books, our website Offalyhistory.com , Facebook, open evenings, our library and offices at Bury Quay.

Our Mission
To promote Offaly History including community and family history

What we do:

  • Promote all aspects of history in Co. Offaly.
  • Genealogy service for counties Laois and Offaly.
  • Co. Offaly photographic records for study and sale in addition to a limited number of publications on Laois and Irish general historical interest.
  • Purchase and sale of Offaly interest books though the Society’s book store and website.
  • Publication of books under the Society’s publishing arm Esker Press.
  • The Society subscribes to almost all the premier historical journals in Ireland.

Our Society covers a diverse range of Offaly Heritage:

  • Architectural heritage, historic monuments such as monastic and castle buildings.
  • Industrial and urban development of towns and villages.
  • Archaeological objects and artifacts.
  • Flora, fauna and bogs, wildlife habitats, geology and Natural History.
  • Landscapes, heritage gardens and parks, farming and inland waterways.
  • Local literary, social, economic, military, political, scientific and sports history.

Offaly History is a non-profit community group with a growing membership of some 150 individuals.

The Society focuses on enhancing educational opportunities, understanding and knowledge of the county heritage while fostering an inclusive approach and civic pride in local identity. We promote these objectives through:

  • The holding of monthly lectures, occasional seminars, exhibitions and film screenings.
    Organising tours during the summer months to places of shared historical interest.
  • The publication of an annual journal Offaly Heritage – to date nine issues.
  • We play a unique role collecting and digitising original primary source materials especially photographs and oral history recordings
  • Offaly History is  the centre for  Family History research in Counties Laois and Offaly.
  • The Society is linked to the renowned Irish Family Foundation website and Roots Ireland where some 900,000 records of Offaly/Laois interest can be accessed on a pay-per-view basis worldwide. Currently these websites have an estimated 20 million records of all Ireland interest.
  • A burgeoning library of books, CD-ROMs, videos, DVDs, oral and folklore recordings, manuscripts, newspapers and journals, maps, photographs and various artifacts.
  • OHAS Collections
  • OHAS Centre Facilities

The financial activities of the Society are operated under the aegis of Offaly Heritage Centre Limited, a charitable company whose directors also serve on the Society’s elected committee. None of the Society’s directors receive remuneration or any kind. All the company’s assets are held in trust to promote the voluntary activities of the Society. Our facilities are largely free to the public or run purely on a costs-recovery basis.

Acting as a policy advisory body –  Offaly History endeavors to ensure all government departments, local authorities, tourism agencies and key opinion formers prioritise heritage matters.

Meet the current committee:

Our Committee represents a broad range of backgrounds and interests. All share a common interest in collecting and promoting the heritage of the county and making it available to the wider community.

2017 Committee

  • Helen Bracken (President)
  • Pat Wynne (Vice President and Joint Treasurer)
  • Niall Sweeney (Vice President)
  • Michael Byrne (Secretary)
  • Lisa Shortall (Deputy Secretary)
  • Dorothee Bibby (Record Secretary)
  • Charlie Finlay (Joint Treasurer)
  • Darrell Hooper
  • Brian Pey
  • Fred Geoghegan
  • Noel Guerin
  • Henry Edgill
  • Peter Burke
  • Angella Kelly
  • Rory Masterson
  • Shaun Wrafter
  • Ronnie Matthews
  • Oliver Dunne
  • Ciara Molloy
  • Stephen Callaghan (Heritage Items)

If you would like to help with the work of the Society by coming on a sub-committee or in some other way please email us or let an existing member know.

+353-5793-21421 info@offalyhistory.com Open 9am-4.30pm Mon-Fri
Sale

Lumen Christi – Stained Glass Windows of Mount Saint Joseph Abbey

50.00 30.00

Lumen Christi – Stained Glass Windows of Mount Saint Joseph Abbey – Laurence Walsh.

This attractive volume, records in words and pictures the story and history of these remarkable stained glass windows and their inspirer’s, designers, fabricators and donors. The lavish colour photographs of the windows are complemented by illustrations from the Abbey’s extensive collection of books, missals, paintings and historical documents. Lumen Christi is essential reading for anyone with an interest in spirituality, Irish history and the craft of stained glass fabricators Earley & Powells, John Hardman & Co., Harry Clarke Studios and The Abbey Stained Glass Studios.

In stock

SKU: e2343532523 Category: Tags: , , , ,

Description

Lumen Christi – Stained Glass Windows of Mount Saint Joseph Abbey – Laurence Walsh.

A native of Roscrea, Co. Tipperary, monk and author Dom Laurence Walsh has been contemplating the stained gilass windows of Mount Saint Joseph Abbey for over sixty years. Here he presents the fruit of several years’ research into the history of the windows, shares stories of the saints’ lives and missions, and allows us a glimpse into his personal reflections on the impact
of these “books of golden instruction.” Lumen Christi chronicles the stained glass windows in the abbey church, infirmary oratories and college chapel. It is a riveting journey situated in the context of external events and circumstances, from the pre-monastic origins of Mountheaton in Co.Offaly (once part of the El), O’Carroll territory) to the modern monastic campus of monastery, guest houses, college and farmyard.

At the heart of Mount Saint Joseph is the abbey church. The foundation stone of this imposing edifice was laid in 1879, it was dedicated and opened for worship in 1881 and solemnly consecrated in 1884. The monks who came to Mountheaton in 1878 were Trappist or Cistercian monks, followers of the Rule of St Benedict, and known for their strict and austere lifestyle. Somewhat surprisingly we find that the monks set about installing stained glass depicting saints and biblical scenes into windows of their newly built church. In fact these windows were planned from the outset and formed an integral part of the design of the structure.

This attractive volume, records in words and pictures the story and history of these remarkable stained glass windows and their inspirer’s, designers, fabricators and donors. The lavish colour photographs of the windows are complemented by illustrations from the Abbey’s extensive collection of books, missals, paintings and historical documents. Lumen Christi is essential reading for anyone with an interest in spirituality, Irish history and the craft of stained glass fabricators Earley & Powells, John Hardman & Co., Harry Clarke Studios and The Abbey Stained Glass Studios.

Additional information

Author

Hard Or Paper Back

Back To Top