skip to Main Content

Offaly History (short for Offaly Historical & Archaeological) was first formed in 1938 and re-established in 1969 and is located at Bury Quay, Tullamore, Co. Offaly since 1993(next to the new Tullamore D.E.W Visitor Centre).

We are about collecting and sharing memories. We do this in an organised way though exhibitions, supporting the publication of local interest books, our website Offalyhistory.com , Facebook, open evenings, our library and offices at Bury Quay.

Our Mission
To promote Offaly History including community and family history

What we do:

  • Promote all aspects of history in Co. Offaly.
  • Genealogy service for counties Laois and Offaly.
  • Co. Offaly photographic records for study and sale in addition to a limited number of publications on Laois and Irish general historical interest.
  • Purchase and sale of Offaly interest books though the Society’s book store and website.
  • Publication of books under the Society’s publishing arm Esker Press.
  • The Society subscribes to almost all the premier historical journals in Ireland.

Our Society covers a diverse range of Offaly Heritage:

  • Architectural heritage, historic monuments such as monastic and castle buildings.
  • Industrial and urban development of towns and villages.
  • Archaeological objects and artifacts.
  • Flora, fauna and bogs, wildlife habitats, geology and Natural History.
  • Landscapes, heritage gardens and parks, farming and inland waterways.
  • Local literary, social, economic, military, political, scientific and sports history.

Offaly History is a non-profit community group with a growing membership of some 150 individuals.

The Society focuses on enhancing educational opportunities, understanding and knowledge of the county heritage while fostering an inclusive approach and civic pride in local identity. We promote these objectives through:

  • The holding of monthly lectures, occasional seminars, exhibitions and film screenings.
    Organising tours during the summer months to places of shared historical interest.
  • The publication of an annual journal Offaly Heritage – to date nine issues.
  • We play a unique role collecting and digitising original primary source materials especially photographs and oral history recordings
  • Offaly History is  the centre for  Family History research in Counties Laois and Offaly.
  • The Society is linked to the renowned Irish Family Foundation website and Roots Ireland where some 900,000 records of Offaly/Laois interest can be accessed on a pay-per-view basis worldwide. Currently these websites have an estimated 20 million records of all Ireland interest.
  • A burgeoning library of books, CD-ROMs, videos, DVDs, oral and folklore recordings, manuscripts, newspapers and journals, maps, photographs and various artifacts.
  • OHAS Collections
  • OHAS Centre Facilities

The financial activities of the Society are operated under the aegis of Offaly Heritage Centre Limited, a charitable company whose directors also serve on the Society’s elected committee. None of the Society’s directors receive remuneration or any kind. All the company’s assets are held in trust to promote the voluntary activities of the Society. Our facilities are largely free to the public or run purely on a costs-recovery basis.

Acting as a policy advisory body –  Offaly History endeavors to ensure all government departments, local authorities, tourism agencies and key opinion formers prioritise heritage matters.

Meet the current committee:

Our Committee represents a broad range of backgrounds and interests. All share a common interest in collecting and promoting the heritage of the county and making it available to the wider community.

2017 Committee

  • Helen Bracken (President)
  • Pat Wynne (Vice President and Joint Treasurer)
  • Niall Sweeney (Vice President)
  • Michael Byrne (Secretary)
  • Lisa Shortall (Deputy Secretary)
  • Dorothee Bibby (Record Secretary)
  • Charlie Finlay (Joint Treasurer)
  • Darrell Hooper
  • Brian Pey
  • Fred Geoghegan
  • Noel Guerin
  • Henry Edgill
  • Peter Burke
  • Angella Kelly
  • Rory Masterson
  • Shaun Wrafter
  • Ronnie Matthews
  • Oliver Dunne
  • Ciara Molloy
  • Stephen Callaghan (Heritage Items)

If you would like to help with the work of the Society by coming on a sub-committee or in some other way please email us or let an existing member know.

+353-5793-21421 info@offalyhistory.com Open 9am-4.30pm Mon-Fri
View cart “Tullamore Have a look back” has been added to your cart.

The Lost Village – A Slieve Bloom Story – Sean Flanagan

8.00

In stock

SKU: 242354 Category: Tags: ,

Description

The Lost Village – A Slieve Bloom Story – Sean Flanagan

The deserted Village of “The Cones” a rough mountain area of the
Slieve Bloom mountains containing 1293 acres of land.The Cones is
situated between the townlands of Tinnahince and Capard.

The Lost Village or The Deserted Village of “The Cones” a rough mountain area, of the Slieve Bloom mountains, is a townland consisting of 1293 Acres of land.The official name is”Cones”as found on the census and maps etc. The local people always referred to it as Cone and Upper Cone. The origin of the name is uncertain but The Cones describe the shape of the hilltops of the area.The Cones is situated in the middle of the largest two townlands of Co. Laois.Tinnahinch, the largest, has 2908 acres and Capard,the second largest has 2548 acres. By being surrounded by the Ridge of Capard on one side and the Tinnahinch Mountain on the other.The Cones was always isolated by its location.

 

The Griffith Valuation of 1851 recorded eight Families living in”Cones’: The 1901 Census shows six families and a total population of twenty seven. The biggest families were the Conroy family with eight, the Fitzpatricks with six, and the Lalors with seven.The 1911 Census shows a further drop, with only 4 families left, with a total of twenty people, 5 Conroys, 5 Fitzpatricks, 6 Lalors, and 4 Clears. Others who previously lived in The Cones were a second Conroy family,Thomas Doorley, James Sullivan and, two Gallagher families who were “Millers’: The Gallaghers lived near the river, and had a Mill Wheel powered by water from the river Barrow. James Sullivan was known as the “Beesom Maker’: He tied a bunch of selected heather together and put a handle in it and made a broom for sweeping the floor. These families all lived very close together, hence “The Village’.

Additional information

Weight 67 kg
Author

Hard Or Paper Back

Back To Top