Legal Offaly: the county courthouse Tullamore and the legal profession in County Offaly from the 1820s to the present day
Legal Offaly: the county Courthouse Tullamore
This is the first such overview of the development of legal institutions and the expansion of legal personnel at county level in Ireland. Over a series of eight chapters the author seeks to show how the law developed at local level in County Offaly (formerly King”s County) over the past two hundred years. The building of a new courthouse at Tullamore in 1835 and the transfer of the assizes was seen at the time as a leap forward in terms of consolidating the town”s position as the county capital. Later chapters deal with the assizes, the barristers on circuit and the development of the county court and petty sessions into the present day circuit and district courts. The final section of the study covers the growth of the solicitors profession in the county together with a listing of some three hundred solicitors who have worked in County Offaly since the 1800s. This work is handsomely illustrated with some two hundred pictures of people and places associated with the legal history of County Offaly.